Monday, January 5, 2009

What were we thinking....?

You know those moments when you're watching a movie and you point out something that's so unrealistic, it doesn't even seem unrealistic to fit in the movie? Then when you question it, the only thing the person you ask can say is, "its a movie."? Yeah... those are the things that make me read this title over and over in my head. But what really makes me say this title, is how I think back to all of the cartoons we watched as kids. As a kid, I know for me, I was just looking for something I found funny. Didn't really have to make sense, but after my dad started challenging my way of thinking, I began to really see moments in cartoons and other media that made me wonder why I really watched that. First example, Power Rangers, season 1 with the original cast. How is it that the evil witch Rita was able to throw her wand down to Earth from the Moon and not only would it land at just the right moment, but it would somehow magically appear back in her hand? And if the rangers got into their giant robot, how come they could jump that high to get in but they can't jump that high in a regular fight? Another show would be shows like Warner Bros cartoons, you know, Road Runner, Elmer Fudd, those guys! Like one thing that I questioned about is was the Road Runner the only available food for the Coyote? Because if not, then how come he aint getting weaker to the point of starving to death? And why was all the dark colored characters the ones getting blown up and shot? And don't even mention all of the cartoons with the subliminal adult content. Like with double meanings that could reference about a child like humor but also mean something sexual at the same time, like Pepe Lepeu. The sad thing is though, is while the people from my generation see those old chartoons and shows as timeless classics, in some ways, its only one or two upgrades from the so called garbage that's on now. In my honest opinion, shows like Foster and Spongebob, are shows that don't even belong on the tv guide. Usually I always give new shows a chance and when I gave it to Spongebob, I kept thinking, they definitly made this show for people who are 7 and under because the show is so pointless. You have a story of a living sponge that lives in a pineapple under the sea and his best friend is a star fish. The sponge works at a fast food place called Krabby Patties, that for a crab and works with and lives next to a squid. Okay for starters, I have an issue with their being fire underwater, to not only cook the food, but also from the supposedly King Triton guy that can turn his staff into fire. And he can freeze people, underwater. Now I understand that it's a cartoon and it's fictional, but dang man there's got to be fine line between creativity and stupidity. But granted, nothing is worst to me than a show with no purpose but simplistic retarded bad jokes. Like in the show Bobobobo. A show that's supposed to be about a hero that's a black guy with blonde hair and uses his nose hairs to beat up bad guys. Yet every single fight scene I've seen has been nothing but random bad jokes. Like the hero becomming friends in the middle of a finishing move and the hero's friends starting to fight. I swear at times I feel like the show was made for people with A.D.D. But I digress, I guess when it comes to cartoons and other media, it's simply, different strokes for different folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers