Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year != Difference || Change

For those of you who aren't Computer Science Majors or grads, then the title means, New Year doesn't (as in does not) equal difference or change. Now to those of us who are alive and well, or even just alive, congratulations on seeing the close of this year and welcoming the swearing in of 2009. The tradition of New Years, as being followed by mostly everyone I know, is to get out, party, drink (possible get drunk), and spend the last moments of this year (good or bad) with either family or the one you love the most thats not in your family. And during these last moments, you may also make a list of "New Year's Resolutions" which is basically supposed to be your official guidelines to bring about a different, better version of yourself. Like, being more patient, or the famous lose weight or get to a certain size, changing my diet, etc. But what is it really that we're doing traditionally? Nothing more than trying to drastically become something that society says is a problem and change it to fit in more? Pretty much! That's why, like the title says, New Year doesn't equal difference or change. Honestly, this is what I believe the New Year should be all about. I believe the new year should be a reflection period of where you are in life and where you're headed. It should be a time to look back and realize if there was any sense of accomplishments or achievements. It should be a time to be thankful for not only seeing a new year but how to make it to the next one. What it definitely shouldn't be, is an excuse to get drunk and be all night like St. Patrick's day. The celebration of the New Year should be based on traditions that self-improve or help improve others. If your traditions are nothing more than traditions of sin, then you need to really think about what lifestyle you're "reflecting" on or living up to. Because we should be focused on moving forward constantly, 24/7, 365 1/4 days a year, not 364 1/4 and then go right back to the beginning of where we left off at. As I type this blog, with a little less than 50 mins remaining in the year of 2008, I am spending my last moments in my home reflecting on what my life has meant to me and to others to this point. I don't stand out, I'm merely an average guy with big dreams, no different than most people my age. And if I was to leave this world tonight before the new year came, I wouldn't have a legacy, let alone much accomplishment. I'd just be another college student who died too soon. So, I'm focusing on not only myself and improving myself, but how to improve others. Not helping and holding people's hands but improving them so they can help themselves. I want to become not only a better christian, a better person, a healthier person and a wiser person but I also want to become someone who will not just be remembered with a legacy to leave a mark on society but to become someone who will earn respect from others and be acknowledged by people on good terms. So I leave with you on this year with these final words.

1 Timothy 2:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers